Page Buttons

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Solid Scrap Frenzy and NTT

Happy Needle and Thread Thursday, y'all!  In continuing my scrap busting mission of late, I realized that though I have successfully used up my print scraps, I had SO many solid scraps that they deserved a quilt of their own.  It's no secret that I don't usually make quilts using all solids, so this accumulation has been going on for awhile.  I had lots of fun with this one.  Since it has so many different elements, I sewed for two solid days and didn't get bored with it at all.


When I started, I had no plan for the quilt at all.  I started with the large braid, and started building the quilt from there.  I used strips of small squares, strip sets, or improv blocks to fill in any places necessary.  I started making a few of each kind of block, and filled the space little by little.  It was very free and fun, as I sewed without measuring anything.  Each piece was made to fit with the existing chunk I was working with, and any extra was trimmed off.  I didn't have to worry about keeping individual blocks perfectly square or preserving triangle points.  The only thing I did worry about was making sure I sewed with correct seam allowance.  Though the quilt looks haphazard, its construction is sound.

My rotary cutter was used very sparingly as well.  It was mainly used to square up large sections, but I also cut my equilateral triangles (bottom left), and the curves on the strip sets.  All of the other blocks and trims were done by eye with my scissors, which adds to the great wonkiness of the quilt.  This one measures 58" x 62" and I'm looking forward to finishing it up, and thinking of a great name for it (suggestions welcome here!)

Last week's party was just amazing!  I love this quilt by Sew Preeti Quilts, called My Twitter Feed (and love the name, too!)


The Lilac Cat shared this awesome quilt.


and check out this fun flying geese mini by Twiggy and Opal.  Love!


Y'all just rock!  Let's see what you have going on this week!

You can link finished projects or WIP's , but just keep it about quilting and sewing!
2. Link to your specific post (not to your home page!) to make it easier for others.
3. Please remember to spread the word and post my button or a text link.  
4. Spread the comment love far and wide!
5. Following me is not a requirement to link, but is so very appreciated!

*If you're new to the party, here's a helpful tip for linking up- select "Auto Crop"  when selecting your thumbnail photo.  For some reason, trying to crop your own image results in the dreaded "white question mark box," and we definitely want to see your awesome work!  :)



15 comments:

  1. I have so few solids since most of my fabric is thrifted.
    Thank you for hosting this wonderful linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say about your quilt is wow. I can't wait to see what you do with the quilting. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! This is seriously COOL! Sounds like it was so much fun to make, I hope the quilting is just as fun! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your solids quilt. I need to get moving on a quilting project--all I have are sketches so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful use of your solid scraps, it may have taken a while to save them but it looks well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your scrap frenzy is amazing!! those colours just pop out at you! I wish I had the freedom to do improv, I'm so uptight when it comes to points!! Need to let go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love love your scrappy goodness - a solid quilt (pun intended). I can see it at a Quilt Show with a ribbon and definitely at the Bloggers Quilt Festival. And thank you for featuring my Twitter Feed quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You 'wowed' me with this quilt! What a fun way to use scraps! Love all the color and all the different shapes and blocks! Thank you for the feature of my mini too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on using up solid scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kelly! Your solid quilt looks fantastic! I love solids and colours! Thank you for the party and hugs! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't usually use solids either, but that scrap quilt is amazing! It's making want to make one! I have been tempted to make Postcards from Sweden which uses all solids. They really look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Colorful and dynamic, with a lot of "WOW"! Congrats on a very fun finish and on using up so many scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your all-solids quilt, such a great way to use up your scrappy bits! I've not made an all-solids quilt yet, this one has got me plotting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kelly, it says 1960's "Psychodelic" or Hippie Craze:)
    Love it whatever you decide to call it.

    schimmel(dot)db(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips